Friday, July 10, 2009

Demo Derby Pictures - Warning - approx. 70 pictures

These first pictures show the car as it was in it's 'original form', stripped out and ready to be demo'd.For a more thorough story, please see my previous blog post.
























































































Here is my DB getting ready to start.













































































































The green car you can see in the bottom right corner won. By the end of the day all that was left of the car was the cab.


















This is shortly after the radiator cracked open



















Here's DB's friend helping him get back into it









































































The tractors had to drag out all the cars with the exception of one, that they got started by fiddling with the engine quickly afterward. (That particular car didn't work off the starting line).


















Here, the guys are inpecting the damage and trying to see if putting the other radiator in is possible.








































































































As you can see, all that is holding the bumper on is the chain.







































































The front passenger's side tire is ripped and right off it's rim - that's the one we replaced.



















After getting the car running and ready to go again, we found that the hinges on the hood had locked and we couldn't get it down again...



















We brought a ref over and he eventually conceded that we could remove the hood, but the bars holding the bumper on had to be welded off.





































This is me, ready to go.































































































































The car on the right (#6) is the won that came in 1st against me. Note that it is the same car that wouldn't run in the first round against Gilles, so it had very little damage when we started.






























































































































The second radiator is gone now too.








































































You can tell which hits were mine and which were hers because when I hit her I was looking back and aiming, but when she hit me I was looking straight forward to brace for impact - I had a decent amount of whiplash afterwards.


























































































I laughed when I saw the car afterwards - I had no idea while driving that I had no back end left, else I would have started hitting with the front. But as soon as I saw the car my first thought (and comment) was that it looked like our friends car! (That shape, not beat up). I'm not sure, but I think his vehicle is a Ford Fiesta (old style).




























































































































Try as we might, we couldn't get the car to drive onto the trailer. The front bumper was too low and it kept pushing the ramps off, and it wouldn't drive backwards. So the tractor had to put it on later.


































It was a lot of fun, and something I'd definitely like to do again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I usually prefer horses to cars as far as racing, but it still looks like a lot of fun! ;)