Monday, May 25, 2009

Terminator: Salvation; Star Trek; X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Warning: While I will do my very best to refrain from posting any spoilers, if you haven't yet seen these movies you may wish to skip this post.


So, this past weekend was a very busy one. My DB's family decided that they all wanted to get together to see some of the new blockbusters that have come out; specifically: Terminator: Salvation, Star Trek, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

It was a very fun weekend - we got to see all three movies in a 2-day span (and I didn't have to pay for any of them or my meals...yay!), and also spent a lot of time helping his aunt out, garage saling, and hair-cutting/dying. (I just got my hair trimmed, no worries!)

Side Note: DB's cousin is currently in school to becom a hair dresser, so she is always willing to cut someone's hair for free as practice! She will also be responsible for dying my hair a few months from now.

Anyway.

I figure I'll try something new today, something of a double post. I'll first post about the weekend, and movies and what not in this post and then I'll make a completely seperate second post for my knitting so that anyone who hasn't seen these movies need not read this post if they don't wish. So, like I said at the beginning, if you haven't yet seen these movies and don't want the plot to be spoiled, stop reading here. I will try not to post any spoilers, but I'm not promising anything. Here we go.

Terminator: Salvation























Terminator: Salvation was the first movie of the three that I watched. I just saw the first three in the past two months, and I loved them. I'm all about the robots vs. humans battles.

I was a little skeptical about this one, because Schwartzennager didn't do any acting in it this time. He tied the other movies together! Plus, it's been six years since Terminator: Rise of the Machines came out, 15 years since Terminator 2: Judgement Day came out, and a whopping 25 years since the original Terminator came out. Something tells me it won't be the original cast.

Still, I was a little disappointed to see that the cast had very little to no physical resemblance to the original characters. What is make-up for? John Connor was played by Christian Bale in Salvation, while he was played by Nick Stahl in Rise of the Machines.


















Yup. I can totally see the resemblance...?

To give Bale his due though, he did an excellent job portraying Connor. He did an excellent job portraying both the tough skin of Connor, as well as his stubbornness. The only thing that I found was lacking in Bale's performance was the innocence/humanity. Gone was the man who told Schwartzennager not to kill anyone, Connor had become a ruthless, calculating, almost cold killing machine. Sure, he made a point of making a rescue mission, but it was to save his own ass rather than out of the goodness of his heart, as it would have been before.

I'd also like to point out that Schwartzenagger did make an "appearance", albeit a short, electonically produced one. Personally, I could have done without it. It didn't add anything to the movie, he was just in there to say he was in there.

Overall however, I thought that this was a very good movie, and I wouldn't hesitate to see it again. I'd rate it a 4 out of 5.




Star Trek




















As a non-Trekkie, I found this film fascinating. I have never watched any of the Star Trek films or TV shows, with the exception of one episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
In all honesty, I went to this film because DB's family wished to, not because it was a film that I wished to see. That being said, I loved it.

I am unsure which audience this movie is targeting though. It is dumbed down enough that you're average Star Trek ignorami can understand most of the story, minus the technical details of 'they're doing what where, why and Huh?' but at the same time it seems to be targeting the masses of actual Star Trek fans.

DB's brother (as a Trekkie) pointed out that they made a point of 'starting it all over' with the change of history, so that they can write an entirely new story without angering the current Trekkies, but I am unsure that this works. Frankly, if I watched a show for several years, and loved it the way it was, and then someone came along and told me that they went back in time and changed history, and that it was all going to be different now, I would be upset. I mean, it's like you're watching a rip-off of the original show.

Okay, rant over.

All that being said, I really found the character of Spock to be fascinating, and really easy to relate to. This surprised me, because from all the discussion of the show that I had heard, I thought that Captain Kirk would be the relatable one. Instead, I found him to be arrogant and childish. Interesting.

I also thought the character Pavel Chekov was the most adorable thing, with his accent and enthusiasm. Is this what I was supposed to think? I don't know. But I did. :)

In the end, I think I'd give this movie a 3.5 stars out of 5. The graphics were great and the movie was entertaining, but there just wasn't quite enough explanation for a newbie, and I felt like it was a bit too offensive to the current Star Trek fans.



X-Men Origins: Wolverine
























This movie scored huge at the box office when it came out, and it's easy to see why... if you're an X-Men fan. If not, don't hold your breath.

While I found the concept very interesting and I am always up for a good superhero movie, I found that a lot of it was overacted, and thus what was meant to look dramatic became cheesy, as though they were already doing a spoof of their own movie. I honestly had to hold my tongue to keep from laughing at some points.

That being said, I did enjoy the story line, and I liked that it had several twists so that you couldn't predict what was going to happen at any point during the movie. The rivalry between brothers was well played, as was the romance between Wolverine and his wife.

There were also a few points that allowed for true comical relief, which was greatly appreciated as it is surprisingly serious movie.

Overall, I'd give this movie a 3/5.


No comments: