Monday, March 9, 2009

Confessions of a Food-aholic

Hello, my name is Chantelle and I am a food-aholic. I have come to the conclusion that I am both an impulsive eater, and an emotional eater. That means that I eat when I see someone else eating, and I eat when I'm happy...sad...mad...excited...bored... you get the picture.

So, this is not a good thing. This means that since my metabolism has slowed down (aka in the last 3 year), I have gained not the freshman 15, but a whopping 51 lbs. Maybe my metabolism has dyslexia. I decided in November that I wanted to do something about it, so I stopped drinking pop. I have had a grand total of two cans of pop since November 1. :) I'm pretty proud of that. Anyway, in a couple months of drinking no pop, I saw a total weight loss of 10 lbs. Pretty good right? Well, I have since stopped losing weight. So I decided around Christmas time that I needed to do the unthinkable. It was time to buy a gym membership.

Well, in January I started my internship for my marketing degree, and I found out that after a month of working there, I was eligible for up to $100 rebate for any fitness activity (1 rebate/yr). So to me, it was a no brainer. At the beginning of February I marched up to the gym in my area, had a meeting with one of the girls who work there, and bought a gym membership.

I have loved going to the gym, but there has been one problem. While I have been eating out much, much less, and working out at the gym at least twice a week, I haven't lost any weight!

I decided something had to be done. So I joined this website - caloriecount.about.com, that you can track what you eat, how much you exercise, and your weight. It will then tell you how many calories you should be eating in a day (at the most) based on your weight/height and activity level. So I have been tracking my calories with this, and think I am starting to learn what habits are really kicking me in the ass (aka popcorn at the theatre - ouch! I had a small bag of popcorn - no butter - and that was half my calorie allowance for the day!)

But I was having a lot of trouble staying under the max calories for the day, so I decided to step it up a notch. I am now making recipes that are low calorie and low fat for supper, and either having the leftovers from that for lunch the next day, or rice.

So without further ado, here is a picture of today's supper. (No, I definitely didn't eat all of that... I don't think I even at 1/10 of that).
Is it just me or does what I made look no where near as appetizing as the picture in the book?

It wasn't.

The bread soaked up all the vinegar, and became soggy, and disgusting.

There was way too much onion (and it was a strong one), and it was altogether nasty. I ended up throwing most of it away, and munching on carrots for the rest of the night. What a waste.

For those brave souls who think they can fix it though, here's the recipe (it is worth 7 points on the weight watchers scale if you care):

Bread Salad with Tomatoes, Beans and Feta

Serves 6

Ingredients:

8 ounces country-style whole-wheat bread, cut into 3/4-inch slices
1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (I used canola)
1 garlic clove, minced (note to self: get one of those garlic crusher thingys)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 (15 1/2-ounce) cans beans, such as cannellini (white kidney), red kidney, and cheackpeas, rinsed and drained (I used a can of bean salad and a can of red kidney beans)
1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices (this was probably the best part about the recipe)
2 large tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 onion, thinly sliced
12 large basil leaves, coarsly chopped (I used a tablespoon of dried basil)
3/4 cup coursely crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese


Instructions:

1. Toast the bread, then cut into 3/4-inch chunks, set aside.
2. Whisk together the vinegar, oil, garlic, and pepper ina serving bowl. Add the chunks of bread, beans, cucmber, tomatoes, onion, and basil; toss to coat evenly with the dressing. Add the feta and gently toss to combine well.


Per serving: (2 1/4 cups)

382 caloris, 6g fat, 2g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 6mg chol, 859 mg sod, 61 carb, 13g fib, 23g prot, 262 mg calc.

---------------------

So in hindsight, I am never making this recipe again. It was Nasty. Yes, with a capital N. Let's hope tomorrow's goes better!

No comments: