Sunday, March 15, 2009

Confessions of a Food-aholic, Day 7

I struggled to keep my eating under control this weekend, due in part to the fact that I wasn't home. Friday I had the leftovers from Thursday's supper for lunch, and was still hungry afterward. I left work at 2:30, and felt an relentless craving for a double-quarter pounder with cheese. I swear I'm going into fast food withdrawal or something. I am not proud to say that I actually did go buy that burger, so of course Friday's calorie limit broken.

Saturday saw a broken calorie limit as well, but for less malicious reasons. As I was in Moose Jaw visiting my boyfriend, I was unable to make my own meals. Therefore, Saturday saw Pita Pit for lunch, and Quiznos for supper. I was careful to make calorie-wise decisions, but there is only so much you can do when you are eating out.

I am proud to say however, that I am back on track today, with a grand total of 1,230 calories consumed: 970 calories below my March limit of 2200.

I am starting to see results, although the scale defies me and tells me that I have lost one measly pound. I shall show it who is boss yet.

On another note, today's supper was absolutely wonderful. I made Spicy Tangerine Beef which is a stir-fry out of the Weight Watchers recipe book. I recommend boiling the broccoli and the peppers together rather than frying them from raw, and then adding them to the mixture without even touching them to the frying pan. I also did not heat the tangerines - I found adding them to the hot food heated them as much as I pleased.

Spicy Tangerine Beef
Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 tangerines
2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons water
3/4 lb boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced
3 cups small broccoli florets
3 scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths (I omitted this ingredient)
1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I omitted this ingredient as well)

Instructions:

1. Grate the zest from the tangerines; set side. Peel the tangerines and seperate into sections; reserve the sections. Stir together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the water in a cup until smooth; set aside.

2. Spray a nonstick wok or large deep nonstick skillet with a nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. When a drop of water sizzles in it, add half of the beef and stir-fry until browned, about 3 minutes, using a slotted spoon to transfer the beef to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef.

3. Add the broccoli and the remaining 2 tablespoons water to the wok; cook, covered, about 2 minutes. Increase the heat to high. Add the scallions, bell pepper, garlic, tangerine zest, soy sauce, and crushed red pepper; stir-fry until the sauce thickens and bubbles, about 1 minute. Return the beef to the wok aong wiht the tangerines; stir-fry until heated through, about 1 minute longer.

Per serving (aout 1 1/4 cups): 191 cal, 4g fat, 1g sat fat, 0g trans fat, 55mg chol, 453 mg sod, 15g carb, 3g fib, 26g prot, 65mg calc.

4 points on the Weight Watchers scale.

Stay tuned for knitting updates tomorrow.

No comments: