Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Confessions of a Food-aholic, Day 2

I was looking forward to supper all day today. Yesterday's meal did not turn out as planned at all, so the fact that today's meal was something considerably normal brightened my day. Today's supper was Double Cheese and Macaroni. I also made some carrot soup, because I was incredibly hungry all day and thought that I would need it. (In case your wondering, I didn't. I couldn't finish what I had!)

Without further ado, this is today's supper.
As you can see, it isn't stupidly far from what it's supposed to look like this time, except for that I used the wrong kind of noodles and I went crazy with the parsley. Overall, I'd rate this recipe a 6/10, although I would probably rate it higher if I had used plain monterey jack cheese like they asked for, instead of monterey jack with pieces of jalapeno peppers in it.

Here's the recipe. It's worth 6 Weight Watchers points.

Double Cheese and Macaroni
Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups ditalini or small bow ties (farfalle) (I used macaroni, because that's what I had on hand)
1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, drained (I used an 18 oz can because I like tomatoes, and then added some green onions)
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat chedder cheese
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Instructions:

1. Cook the ditalini according to the package directions, omitting the salt if desired; drain and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the milk, cornstarch, mustard, and pepper in a large saucepan until smooth, then set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and bubbles, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the chedder and Monterey Jack; cook, stirring, just until melted. Stir in the pasta and cook until heated through, about 1 minute longer. Serve sprinkled with parsley, if using.

Per serving (1 1/4 cups): 322 cal, 5 g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 12mg chol, 703mg sod, 50g carb, 4g fib, 19g prot, 404 mg calc.

I'm back on track!

No comments: