Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Blocking the Light



I did it! I really did it! I finished the first square of my afghan. What seemed like neverending repeats of the same stitches, has actually found an end. Not to say that I didn't enjoy this square - Oh no, that isn't it at all. It is a beautiful texture, called 'double moss'. It reminds me of bubble wrap, all the bubbles and indents. But this is the point is it not? Either way, I have come to the conclusion that it will be a really warm blanket. If only I could decide who I was making it for!
Here are a couple pictures of the afghan, first partially completed, and then my completed square.

No, it hasn't been blocked yet - I was too excited to take a picture. And yes, that funny looking pink thing at the bottom of the finished piece is a 12" ruler. I just wanted to point out the difference between my gauge, and the suggested 12" gauge. I didn't do it intentionally, although I suppose if I stop to think about it I did.

I used Chunky-weight yarn on size 7 needles, when the directions called for worsted weight yarn on size 8 needles. I'm bad.

But, I really like big blankets. And I really hate little blankets. So - such is life.

---------------

In other news, and if you only want to read about my knitting you can skim to the end to view my On/Off the needles; Gilles is home sick.

For those of you that don't know me, Gilles is my boyfriend. He works as an electrician during the week, and a janitor on the weekends to make some extra cash. It worries me. He has worn himself down to nothing - and now this is the second day in a row that he has had to miss work at his real job, as an electrician.

Not that I have a problem with him staying home and sleeping - I know that that is exactly what he needs - but this bothers me because it is the fact that he is overworking himself that makes him so prone to illness.

To make matters worse, he is going back to school in a week and a half. So this means that he is taking sick time off work even though he isn't going to be there much longer - and then needs to come back again in two months.

Plus, he can't be sick when he goes to school. If he misses four or more classes, he fails the year. --not that he wouldn't be having trouble if he missed only one class - they cram the information on you way too fast at SIAST.

While he's in school he'll be moving down to Moose Jaw during the week, and then spending most weekends back in Saskatoon. This means that I'll be getting lots of knitting done, because it has been a long time since he's been away so much. Gotta pass the time somehow.

--------------------

Well, I'm done whining. :)

Here's what's on/off my needles this week:

On the needles:
  • Garterlac dishcloth (currently eyeing me up and accusing me of ignoring it)
  • Knit'n Purl scarf (my own design, and very basic, but very slow to knit up)
  • Valentine's Hearts
  • Mother's Day Card (Okay, this one isn't technically knitting, but there will be some needlework on it - and it counts if I say it does). :D

Off the needles:

  • 'January' square for monthly KAL (oh yeah, did I not mention that I started a month late?)

**And a new category:**

In the queue: (I will try to refrain from listing more than three items at once - it may help control my urge to knit 5,000,000 projects at once).

  1. 'February' square for monthly KAL
  2. Montreal Canadiens crocheted afghan (Yes, I am aware that I do not yet know how to crochet)
  3. Garter Stitch Lace Facecloth by Bernadette Borse

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/clothgarterlace.htm


No comments: